Applying to Holy Cross – I Was Scared, Too

So, it’s the end of 2019, and if you’re a senior in High School, I’m here to tell you it’s going to be okay. I was in your shoes a year ago today. I too was stressed while applying to colleges, and I felt like I was on the brink of a breakdown, but I’m alive – I lived to tell the tale, and best of all, I’m happy.

As my first blog post, I thought it would be fitting to tell you guys a few of the things I did while applying to colleges, particularly to Holy Cross. This is by no means a step-by-step guide on how to get in, but maybe (just maybe) it’ll help you keep your sanity.

HOW I SURVIVED COLLEGE APS & CHOSE HC:

• DO NOT PROCRASTINATE YOUR ESSAY. 
    • This is my number one tip! I know, you may be an avid procrastinator (like I was), but this is too important to put on the back burner. Your essay is one of your only opportunities to give the admissions committee a glimpse of who you are.  Talk about something that makes you unique, something that pushed you grow – something that you’re passionate about. Picking an essay topic was one of the most difficult tasks I’ve had to do. It’s hard to dilute yourself into a small word count, but it’s all about making each and every word count. It’s easier said than done, but all you can do is try your best. 
  • SEEK OUT INTERVIEWS & TALK TO ALUMNI
    • Requesting an interview demonstrates interest and it gives the college further insight to your personality, which builds your application. As important as this is, requesting an interview shows you the college vibe, especially if it’s with a current student or alum. I’m from Florida, so I interviewed with an alumna. Afterwards, I asked myself, “if I had her college experience, would I be happy? If I turned out to be like her, would I be happy?” The answer was yes and yes! Alumni are representations of the school, and when they ooze enthusiasm, like mine did, you know you’re applying to a special place.
  • WRITE THE “WHY” ESSAY
    • When I was faced with the “why do you want to attend xyzzy university/ college” question, I realized whether I was applying to the school because I really liked it or because I was infatuated with its brand. The worst thing you can do it write a generic response and submit it to all of the schools you’re applying to. Although this may not hurt you, it will not help you either.   When I wrote this essay for Holy Cross, it was easy to do. I had too much to say and too little words. Often, this is a good sign!

Extra Tips From People That Aren’t Me: 

“Don’t be afraid to brag about yourself. You’re supposed to show off in an application.” – Sophie, University of Florida

“Don’t base your worth on whether or not you get into your dream school.  You’re more than a rejection letter.”  – Parker, Samford University

“Have a backup, just in case things change at the last minute” – Kathleen, University of Central Florida

“Trust the process.” – Jack, Saint Joseph’s University

I hope these tips make the application process a little bit easier. Remember, all you can do is be honest and stay true to yourself!

One Reply to “Applying to Holy Cross – I Was Scared, Too”